This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone #CollectiveBias #EasterWithHatfieldHam #simplyHatfield
This Ham, Cheese & Spinach Strata is the perfect brunch dish. Prep ahead and bake before your brunch for an effortless dish.
Make ahead. It is the secret to successful entertaining. Anything that I can prep or make ahead of time when my kids are asleep the night before, I do! So, Easter brunch (or brunch anytime, really!) is no exception. With all the excitement of Easter, my kids keep us going in the morning. It’s nice to be able to make something the night before that can be popped into the oven, resulting in the perfect brunch dish.
This Ham, Cheese & Spinach Strata is simple and easy-to-make, and the quality and convenience of Hatfield® Ham products lends itself to this recipe, no matter what your cooking level (pro or novice!).
What is a strata? It’s a layered breakfast (or brunch) casserole made with eggs, bread, cheese — you can add in meat, veggies, and extras to your liking! All you do is put everything into a casserole dish, refrigerate overnight and bake in the morning before your brunch. There is nothing to cook ahead, and when you use Hatfield® Ham, precooked Ham Steaks, like this recipe calls for, it’s SO simple!
Best of all, the way I make it here, you can change it up any way you like. Want to add in mushrooms or tomatoes, go for it! Don’t like spinach, take it out! Refrigerating the dish makes it better because the bread has time to absorb the egg. Once you make this once, you’ll think of a million other ideas for a strata that your family likes — sweet, savory, you name it!
So, when I saw this recipe is low-key and convenient, I mean it. Hatfield Ham Steaks make it that much easier because they are fully cooked, helping make this dish easier. Hatfield® products are simply delicious, family-owned, American made and ethically raised. Overall, the brand is quality and I use the Ham Steaks time and time again in recipes like this.
HAM, CHEESE & SPINACH STRATA | MAKE AHEAD
- 8 cups cubed bread (crusty bread works better!)
- 2 cups cooked and cubed ham – use Hatfield® Ham Steaks
- 2 cups shredded cheese – I use cheddar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more for topping
- Generously grease a 9×13 (or similar size) casserole dish or spray with nonstick spray.
- Layer in the bread, then the peppers, tomatoes, and ham. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, ground mustard, smoked paprika, and pepper together. Pour evenly over other ingredients in the casserole dish. Top with scallions and a little more pepper, if desired.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight (up to 12-16 hours).
- Remove casserole from the refrigerator and allow to sit out at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (191°C).
- Bake casserole, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Loosely cover with aluminum foil for the remaining 20-30 minutes. Casserole is done with browned on the sides and puffy in the center. Mine usually takes about 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave.
You can find Hatfield® Ham Steaks at a retailer near you. I find mine at my local ACME – where the Hatfield® products are always well-stocked! Learn more HERE.