Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
In this post, you’ll meet our dog, Oliver and find out more about his adoption story. I’m also sharing Oliver’s 5 Must-Have Toys and a cute DIY stenciled toy bin! You can also learn about how Rachael Ray™ Nutrish® Furever Home™ is Helping Shelter Pets Find The Home They Deserve and enter the sweepstakes for a chance to win $25,000 and other prizes. Register your purchase at www.nutrishfureverhome.com.
This is Oliver. He’s a ‘Pomston’ which is a mix between a Boston Terrier and a Pomeranian. He’s truly one of the best things that has happened to our family. When he’s not “patrolling” the property (for squirrels) he keeps a nosy eye out on anyone and everything.
Oliver loves playing with my kids, other dogs, walks and snuggling. He is the best snuggle buddy. He’s got a great temperament and loves people. We truly lucked out when we adopted Oliver. Oliver was rescued in Kentucky when he was only a few months old by a small organization. He had been given up by the family of an elderly woman who didn’t think she could care for him. Unfortunately, they didn’t really care where the dog went and put him in a shelter that didn’t have the best reputation. After being rescued, Oliver’s caregivers made sure that he was healthy. They also focused on training him for a year before adoption.
We were interviewed and she asked a lot of questions about our home and family. We weren’t sure if we would get Oliver – but were thrilled when we got the call that Oliver would be making the trip from Kentucky to New Jersey. Oliver was a great addition to our family. He’s 3 years old now and we hope he will stay happy and healthy for many, many years to come.
Keeping Oliver Happy & Healthy
We keep Oliver happy with lots of play. My three young children have plenty of energy so Oliver always stays active! We have lots of toys for Oliver, so his own toy bin is a necessity. I keep it right in the kids’ play area. It’s funny to watch him head over to his bin, tip it over and choose a toy. I often get asked what are some of Oliver’s favorite toys.
Toys have an important role for dogs. Not only can it be fun for dog and owner -but it also helps with intellectual stimulation, bonding, exercise and dental health.
5 Must-Have Dog Toys
- Squeaky Toy – opt for as indestructible as possible! They even make some squeakers that only canines can hear.
- Flavored Chew Toy – not to be eaten, but the flavor infused encourages chewing
- Rope Toy – for tug play
- Plush Toys – again, the more indestructible, the better.
- Chew Toy with space for treats – makes a great chew toy, but the fun of a treat inside the toy make it more stimulating and fun!
To store them all, I always have a bin that we place in an area accessible to him. I made this one with a simple folding cube organizer, white paint, and stenciling on the word “FETCH.”
I recommend using a fabric paint.
I also use stencil adhesive to get clean lines when stenciling. It sprays on and makes the job a lot easier. Allow to dry fully and then fill with the must-have toys above – and any other favorites!
Keeping Oliver healthy is so important to us. We like the Rachael Ray™ Nutrish® line of food and treats for dogs. In 2007, with help from pet nutrition experts, Rachael Ray created Nutrish super-premium food and treats for dogs inspired by recipes from her own kitchen. Nutrish recipes are made with simple, wholesome ingredients like real meat or fish, and do not contain poultry by-product meal or fillers. All Nutrish dry dog is natural with added vitamins & minerals and safely USA cooked with the world’s best ingredients.
Added to the quality, Rachael’s Rescue® was created for all of the forgotten pets. A portion of proceeds from each sale of Nutrish is donated to The Rachael Ray Foundation, which helps animals in need through Rachael’s Rescue. Through September 2017, Rachael’s Rescue has donated more than $21 million dollars to pet charities and other organizations that do good for animals. The funds are used for food, medical supplies, treatments, and more for animals in need. In October 2017, Rachael Ray Nutrish will donate $250,000 to benefit shelter pets. A cash donation will be made in equal amounts to 3 organizations: 1) Big Dog Ranch 2) ASPCA 3) North Shore Animal League 3) Big Dog Ranch Rescue. This is important to me, considering that Oliver was adopted.
My local Stop & Shop always has a great selection of Nutrish®. You can find the selections in the pet food aisle.
Do you have a pet adoption story? I’d love to hear how your pet joined your family. Or share with my your pet’s favorite toy or way to play!
More Details on the Sweepstakes:
- Sweepstakes begins on October 1, 2017 at 12:00:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on October 31, 2017 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET (the “Sweepstakes Period”).
- To Enter Online: Purchase any Nutrish®-only product during the Sweepstakes Period, then visit www.nutrishfureverhome.com and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the registration form with your contact information, including email address. Then upload a digital photo of your original purchase receipt the Nutrish product circled to receive one entry into the Sweepstakes.
- To Enter without Purchase. Open to legal residents of 50 U.S/D.C.,18+ (19+ in AL&NE). Ends 10/31/17 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET. To enter without purchase by mail and for Official Rules: www.nutrishfureverhome.com (URL not live yet)
- Grand Prize: $25,000 and a one-year supply of Nutrish® dry dog food or one year worth of Nutrish® dry cat.
- THREE (3) First Prizes: $5,000 and a one-year supply of Nutrish® dry dog food or one year worth of Nutrish® dry cat.