Fried Ice Cream. It’s one of those things that I might not attempt to make at home – that is, until this recipe. The awesome people at Honey Bunches of Oats sent me a box of Honey Bunches of Oats Almonds, this amazing recipe and promotional gift card so that I could share this dessert. And let me tell you, once you make it, it will become a go-to for a fast, easy and delicious dessert. Both for guests or yourself!
You basically start with an ice-cream of your choice. The recipe calls for Vanilla. You’ll round 1/2 cup portions into round shapes and place on a tray to return to the freezer. TIP: Let your tray sit in the freezer for about an hour prior. It will help with the ice-cream rounds retaining their shape.
Next, you’ll combine Honey Bunches of Oats Almonds with shredded coconut and chili powder. Yes, chili powder. Trust me, the end result is amazing. Once you fry the cereal mixture and allow to cool, you’ll roll your ice cream in the mixture and return to the freezer.
The chocolate sauce is made with cream and cinnamon and is such a great compliment to the crunch and creaminess of the ice cream. Guests will rave and ask how you made this when you serve it and your kid will tell you that you that “you make the best stuff!” True story. Thanks to Honey Bunches of Oats for helping me look like a rock star in the kitchen.
- 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Almond cereal
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce:
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place cereal in a medium bowl and lightly crush with your hands or the back of a wooden spoon. Add coconut and chili powder and combine.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil. Add cereal and coconut mixture and fry until it is golden brown and toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely
- Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop ice cream and quickly form balls with your hands. Place on a small try and immediately return to the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until the rounds are firm.
- Remove ice cream balls from freezer and quickly roll each ball in the cereal and coconut mixture. Return to freezer for at least another 30 minutes or until the rounds are firm again.
- When ready to serve, combine the chocolate chips, cream and cinnamon in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. If the chips are not completely melted, stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Serve each fried ice cream ball with a drizzle of cinnamon-chocolate.
Serve to guests or dessert for one? How would you serve up this delicious recipe for Fried Ice Cream? How else might you enjoy Honey Bunches of Oats Almond Cereal?
Visit Honey Bunches of Oats for more info!