My mom makes these cookies every Christmas holiday, but I find them to be a cookie that pretty much goes with any season or reason. This easy recipe makes it simple to make anytime. Enjoy!
Walnut Thumbprint Cookies with Fruit Jam
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/3 cup fruit jam (s) : I like to use apricot and raspberry the best.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees & grease cookie sheets – or prepare baking mats.
2. Separate egg, setting egg white aside in a separate bowl.
3. Cream butter, sugar, and egg yolk.
4. Add in the flour, salt and vanilla – mix well.
5. Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
6. Roll each dough ball in the egg white and then the walnuts.
7. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 7 minutes.
8. Remove cookies from oven. With your thumb or a small spoon, dent each cookie in the center.
9. Add chosen jam in each thumbprint. Bake for another 5 minutes.