Summer is in full-swing – and hopefully, you’ve been making sure your family is protected from the sun. Being on the beach all day, every day on our vacation last week was a blast, but the hot sun beating down on the kids all day had me worried. We did our best to create shade to get them out of the sun when needed, wore hats, sunglasses, rashguards and used Coppertone products. Everyone went home from the beach each day, happy and burn-free.
Why is sun protection so important? Here are some facts:
1. Did you know that just ONE blistering sunburn in childhood can increase the chance of developing skin cancer later in life?
2. The skin around children’s eyes is more delicate and vulnerable to UV rays than that of adults.
3. Dark skinned individuals, such as African-Americans or Hispanics, are vulnerable to UV Rays
Starting early in life to show children the importance of sun protection is important. I don’t just apply sunscreen to my kids. I apply it to myself first – and when they see me doing it, they want to do it too. (Isn’t that the way it always works??)
Here are some sun protection tips:
1. Keep water with you at all times. The sun can increase the speed of dehydration.
2. Wear a hat and sunglasses, even on cloudy days. About 80% of the sun’s rays can still penetrate cloud cover on overcast days!
3. Wear swim shirts – a standard t-shirt has an SPF of about 7 when dry and 3 when wet. We like to have our kids wear rashguard bathing suits or tops. The added protection is so important!
4. Know the Shadow Rule: On a sunny day, if your shadow is shorter than you are tall, the ultraviolet rays are particularly strong. If so, seek some shade!
5. Reapply sunscreen throughout the day: Ask those that are caring for your children, babysitters, coaches, counselors about reapplication. Sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours or after swimming, sweating or towel drying.
Visit www.Coppertone.com for more information about sun protection.
Both of these served us SO well on the beach. The Coppertone Kids Tear Free helps keep kids’ skin soft and smooth – with an ultra gentle, tear free formula that doesn’t sting or irritate little eyes. Made with zinc oxide, it is water-resistant (80 minutes) and is oil, fragrance and dye free.
The Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple was perfect for my two year old twins. This formula is also sting-free and provides broad spectrum protection against UVA and UVB. This is also a hypoallergenic, gentle, zinc oxide formula. It has a moisturizing formula to keep baby’s skin soft and smooth.