There’s nothing like a good, classic cheeseburger. But every once in a while, I like to change it up and do something different with my burger. A common theme in our family is having very traditional Italian antipasti before meals and at gatherings. Cheeses, artichoke, salami, prosciutto, peppers…need I go on? It’s those very yummy components that inspired this burger – an Italian Antipasto Burger.
There were a lot of components to this burger, so I started with the basics that I was able to pick up at Walmart – Kraft Singles, Kraft Mozzerella Slices and Kraft Miracle Whip. Aside from the cheese, I decided to use Miracle Whip to make a Balsamic spread for the Ciabatta Bun. Other toppings that I chose were artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, genoa salami, and fresh basil.
I decided to add in breadcrumbs and some pecorino-romano cheese to the ground beef for this recipe, giving it a bit of the flavor of my favorite meatball recipe.
After cooking, I topped my burger with two cheeses – sliced mozzarella and a white american. I liked the idea of the American Cheese flavor paired with the mozzarella. I think it really works, but you could substitute any cheese or add more!
For the bun, I made a quick spread with Kraft Miracle Whip, balsamic vinegar and Italian seasonings. It is the perfect amount of creaminess with the zing of the balsamic.
The Fun Part – Build Your Burger
Once my burger was cooked (I’m a ‘well-done’ sorta gal), I could begin building my burger. I started by adding the Creamy Balsamic Dressing to the bun. From there, I just built it up. Adding the burger, salami and next artichokes. Finally, I added the roasted peppers and fresh basil.
You could really take the idea of this Antipasto Burger and make it your own – topping with a variety of your favorite Antipasto choices.
Make it your own & Enjoy!
- For 2 Burgers:
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- 2 slices Kraft Natural Cheese: Mozzarella
- 2 slices Kraft American Cheese - White
- 4 canned or jarred Artichoke Hearts - you could use marinated or non-marinated. Rinsed and drained & halved.
- 2 Slices Genoa Salami - thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper - seeds removed, quartered
- ½ cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup pecorino-romano cheese
- 2 Ciabatta Rolls - I chose Rosemary infused ciabatta.
- For Balsamic Dressing:
- ½ cup Kraft Miracle Whip
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
- Begin by marinating the pepper quarters in 1 tbsp of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Lay skin side up and begin roasting on low broiler for 10 minutes. Watch closely so they don't become too dark. Once done cooking, set aside to cool, peel skin and slice into long strips.
- For Balsamic Dressing, mix Kraft Miracle Whip with balsamic vinegar and Italian seasoning - set aside.
- Next, take ground beef and add breadcrumbs and cheese, salt and pepper. Combine well and shape into two patties.
- Grill or cook until desired level of cooking, adding Kraft Singles American Cheese and then Slice of Mozzarella Cheese to melt on top.
- To build your Burger:
- Spread Creamy Balsamic Dressing onto top bun.
- Add burger with melted cheese.
- Top with a single slice of Genoa Salami, followed by Artichoke Hearts, Roasted Peppers.
- Finally, top with fresh basil leaves.